Anglesey comes originally from North Wales. This estate was owned in the early 19th century by Hon. Joseph Stone Williams, customs rotulorum of the parish and for many years Assistant Judge in Cornwall Assize Court. He died in February, 1836. Auchenbreck was so named by Hon. John Campbell, a member of the branch of the ancient and highly regarded Scottish clan of Auchenbreck in Scotland.
Westmoreland Jamaica Guide
Auchendown is in Westmoreland. This place and the preceding were both named by early Scottish settlers for the part of Scotland from whence they came. The ruined old Great House at Auchendown was recently designated a National Monument. Beckford Street, Savanna-la-mar, Westmoreland, is named after Colonel Peter Beckford, the first of the Beckford family to settle in Westmoreland. The Beckford’s belonged to an old Gloucester family dating back to the 12th century; among them was an absentee owner of sugar plantations in Jamaica. In the course of three generations the Beckford family owned vast acreage not only in Westmoreland, but in Clarendon and St. Catherine. Another member of the family, Peter Beckford (the immigrant) became lieutenant-governor in 1703, and his son Peter was Speaker of the House of Assembly. The Hon. Peter Beckford endowed a school in Spanish Town.
Beeston, a district, and Beeston Spring may be connected with Sir William Beeston. Bluefields (and Bluefields Bay) was originally spelt ‘Blewfields’, as if derived from someone with a Dutch name. Abraham Blauvelt was a Dutch seaman in these waters more than 300 years ago, and it is thought that he must have been a strong enough presence for the Bay to have been named after him.
Bulstrode and Bulstrode Park, Westmoreland, are named after Hugh Anthony Buistrode Whitelock, who came to Jamaica from England in 1821 and died here in 1864. In (1839) Captain (1846) and Colonel (1854) of the Westmoreland Militia, Custos of Hanover (1846) and Member of the Assembly of Jamaica from the general election in 1830 to the final session in January, 1866. The last Whitelock to own Bulstrode was a grandson of the Hon. Hugh Anthony Buistrode Whitelock, Roland Winston Buistrode Whitelock, born at Bullstrode Park, near Grange Hill. In the Grange Hill Parish Church there is a memorial to members of this family. Bulstrode was purchased in 1957 by K.S. Calder. Burke-Lennox Bigwood takes the surname of the first owner, Burke. Once a property, it is now a village.
|Why You Should Visit Sandals Whitehouse Jamaica - Watch This Video!|
Cabartta Punta is a Spanish place-name meaning ‘kid or goat point’. There are also Cagua is the Spanish name of Port Royal. When the British took possession bf the island in 1655, they changed the name to Cagway, and there is still a street by that name in Port Royal.
Chadworth originated in Derbyshire, England. Culloden is originally a Scottish place name. Flamstead in Westmoreland which, it is said, dates from 1848. Font Hill, in Westmoreland and St. Elizabeth, named from Fonthill Manor, was owned by Sir William Beckford of England, Lord Mayor of London, an absentee owner of sugar plantations in Jamaica in the 18th century.
Fort William, near Savanna-la-mar, was part of an estate owned by William Beckford, an early English settler, and was named after him. Friendship, on the border of Westmoreland and Hanover, was so named as a place of conference for missionaries in 1837 by Rev. James Niven of the Scottish Missionary Society, the village afterwards took the name.
Frome (pronounced “Froom”) is a sugar estate in the parish of Westmoreland. Frome is a place-pame in Somerset, England. The chief industry of Westmoreland is the manufacture of sugar, the principal centre for which is Frome, where the West Indies Sugar Co. has erected one of the largest and most up-to-date factories in the West Indies. Rum is also produced as a by-product.
Fullersfield was land first known as “Ridgeland”, and was owned by Samuel Vaughan, who also owned Flamstead in St. Ann. Mr. Vaughan, having seen the effect on his slaves of the religious teaching given them by the Baptists, offered the denomination a part of the land for the establishment of a chur.ch. This was the first Baptist Church to be established in Westmoreland.
Green Valley is in Westmoreland. Green Hills (prec.) and Green Valley are named for their natural features. Gurneys Mount, in the parish of Westmoreland, was so named after W.B. Gurney, Quaker who was associated with the Abolition of Slavery Movement.
Hartford, in the parish of Westmoreland, originated in Connecticut, U.S.A. Hendon is named after a town in Middlesex, England. Hermitages in Westmoreland, one of which was owned by Mr. W.H. Cooke, and later by other members of his family.
Hudson Street, in the town of Say-la-mar, Westmoreland, is named after the late Dr. J.W.N. Hudson of Darliston, who was elected Member of the Legislative Council for that parish.
Joe Williams Bigwood once a property named after its first owner, is now a village. Kew Park is an old cattle and citrus property. It is claimed that the original name was “Q Park”, the “Q” being for “Quarrell”, the name of an early owner. Kew Park was afterwards owned by the Williams. Family, who for some seven generations resided continuously in Westmoreland, One member of the family was, at one time, custos of the parish; two others were elected Members of the Jamaica Legislature — the first to the House of Assembly as long ago as the year 1711; and a fourth, James Rowland Williams, M.A., was Inspector of Schools in 1884, Acting Colonial Secretary in 1907 and Director of Education in 1909.
Little London is found in many parishes. The one in Westmoreland is a district inhabited chiefly by East Indians. Llandilo, in the parish of Westmoreland, comes originally from Carmarthen, Wales. Mint is a sugar estate owned by West Indies Sugar Company (Wisco).
Save Rent, near Savanna-la-mar, Westmoreland, was once rendered as the surname of a Frenchman, F.E.N. Saverent. The inscription on an ancient tombstone on the property states that he owned this property from 1773 to 1811. The surname, now divided in half, is one for which few can find the correct origin.
Seaford Town was originally 500 acres of Montpelier Mountains owned early in the 19th century by Lord Seaford, Governor of Barbados (see SEAFORD). He gave the land for the settlement of German immigrants brought to Jamaica at the sanction of The legislature between 1834 and 1838 by Dr. William Lemonius, a Prussian, who was responsible for 1,000 immigrants from north Germany. Dr. Lemonius also settled in Jamaica and practiced medicine for many years.
Speculation must have meant to its owner what the name implies. Springfield, is also found in Westmoreland, Hanover, St. Elizabeth, Kingston, and in the states of Ohio, Massachusetts and Missouri, U.S.A. Sutcliffe Mount was named by the Rev. Midd led itch, early English Baptist missionary stationed at Savanna-la-mar, after Rev. John Ryland of Northampton, England, founded the Baptist Missionary
Society of London in 1784. The Rev. Sutcliffe became the Society’s first treasurer. Tate Shafston was named after Mr. Lawrence Tate, the father of Dr. Tate of Montego Bay, and his forebears. This property is now owned by Mr. Lawrence Tate’s granddaughter, the daughter of the later Dr. David Tate.
Vile Hill is in Westmoreland. Warwick Castle is in Westmoreland. This place-name is found in Australia, and. Rhode Island, U.S.A. The Jamaican Warwick Castle is said to have been owned in the 18th century by Sir Simeon H. Clarke. Watson Town is in Westmoreland. Barracks is a place-name found in many parishes: for instance as Barracks Street; and in Montego Bay St James. As Barracks Road: These names came into existence as a result of the British Army’s construction of barracks there.
Darliston is a corruption of Darlaston in the eastern part of England. Kentucky originated in the U.S.A. Morgan’s Bridge, in Westmoreland (now Grange Hill), was a property owned by Sir Henry Morgan, buccaneer, and Lieutenant-Governor of Jamaica (1 674-5). It is said that only the police station retains this name.
Savanna-La-Mar, chief town and shipping port in Westmoreland, was the Sabana-de-la-inar (“the plain by the sea”) of the Spaniards. During English occupation of the island, the “de” was dropped, and the name became Savanna-la-mar, sometimes abbreviated to Sav-la-mar.